Tuesday 1 January 2008

ReaL¡Ty, aRe y0U tHerE?

The reality is nothing more than assuming certain perceptions as unquestionable truths, and since each one of us have our own perceptions which might not agree in some cases, i think that the reality is a paradox, the reality is not real!

In this way, only the people who believe in any kind of God may think that there is an universal observer who knows what reality is and hence, they think that reality do exists and is real.
The interesting point about perceptions (and reality) is that if you are aware of it, you can change (and choose) them. So, in fact, everybody has something to do (in some sense) with their reality.

Here I have an example:


This is a not very known reversible animation from Nobuyuki Kayahara , you may perceive it as turning in one of you ways, namely clockwise or counterclockwise, but it is possible to perceive it turning the other way. I know people with more or less ability to turn their perception and also someones unable to change it, but I think that it is all about opening the mind. I've read that, in this case, the perception (of the turning) is related to the prevailing hemisphere of the brains, I don't think so because I can choose and change the turning way of the dancer as I want.

In the case of our reality, there is like a kind of social agreement of what the reality is. If two or more people perceives a car as red-colored, then the ones who watch it blue (or what else) are freaks or simply color-blind.

4 comments:

HeatherAnnastasia said...

I like this blog.

Reality, to me, is not a matter of what is, but what matters.

According to physics, if a tree falls in the forest, and no one is there to hear it; it does not make a sound.

I had trouble with this idea in high school.

But then I decided that; if a tree falls in the forest, and no one is there to care; what does it matter?

More later. gotta go

HeatherAnnastasia said...

Anyway, I like this illusion. Once I figured out to invert the image, I could make it turn either way.

0FfeS said...

Hi heather annastasia, you're the first non relative to me that writes in the blog.

I understand the physicists point of view, since in order to meassure things (e.g. sound) there needs to be an observer.

But I think that your point of view is more amusing.

This reminds me of a chapter of The Simpsons where Lisa told Bart how to empty the mind and concentrate. She asked him about the sound of a falling tree with no one there to hear it. Bart's face was priceless...

About the illusion, now I have problems seeing it turning, it only makes half turns.

HeatherAnnastasia said...

I love that episode!

Say, I was thinking the other day, about the infinite and infinitesimal; ultraviolet and infrared; about how our existence is always somewhere in the middle of any given scale of measurement, but we are able to perceive and measure things beyond the range of our natural perception.

Then I thought about how most ancient religions viewed the universe in the same way; that we exist somewhere in the middle of heaven and hell; or like the Aztec cosmology where earth exists between the upper worlds and underworlds.

So I thought for a moment that maybe we have some inherent, inborn map of the universe in our brains, or at least some vague understanding...

But then I thought; what if we've just always studied the world and the universe from this preconceived notion of how the universe works? What if we're stuck in the mindset of scaling and measuring things, starting with ourselves in the middle and working our way out?

Which seems more likely to you?

...or am I making any sense at all?

I need to get to sleep